Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Trip that TS Falcon threatened - Part 1

Oh yes! A delayed blog entry, I was initially planning to post this on my other blog but decided against it as this was perceived to be a photo heavy post and I have an issue with the amount of time that it takes to post a photo on that site. But I have moved on from that.

As with many of my past/future trips, this northern excursion was brought to me by a seat sale! Oh yes, matiyaga ako sa paghahanap. Bilang travel agent ako for 2 years (international nga lang) plus combine it with my deepest desire to travel, I am determined to find and confirm that discounted seat. And so I did. I booked a ticket for two to travel to Laoag from Manila last June 2011. I was so excited for the trip, happily finalized all my endorsements at work WHEN Tropical Storm Falcon decided to jump in and join us in the Philippine Area of responsibility. But it's cool. I thought and I really prayed to God to bless this trip and that it would push through. By the way, let me just mention that this trip really has a lot of answered prayers. Read on to find out what they were.

After a delay in the flight, the trip pushed through but I got really scared when I realized that we were embarking a small aircraft to Laoag. The whole flight spelled TURBULENCE! kumbaga aalog alog lahat. I even had this weird imagination na dahil seat sale lang kami, naka-upo lang kami sa plastic chair pero may seatbelt! take note, safety first pa rin! hahah!

We arrived at night, so we had to stay overnight in Laoag. Since I didn't make any reservations, we trooped down to this one pink hotel that I remember to be near the bus station going to Laoag. I was really praying to God for an available room so we wouldn't have to go somewhere else and scout. And God heard my prayer, there was an available room and it was at a discounted price! Aha!! See, God provides! :) So we decided to get it. We stayed at La Elliana Hotel.


We got the room for less than a thousand per night, the room amenities were so-so. They're really meant for the budget traveler. Or at least the room we got hahah! However, my main complain was about the hold/cold shower which wasn't working plus the shower knob was kinda broke. Also the room felt dusty, for someone who has rhinitis, I can tell. Here are a few photos of the room we got:

   

hindi naman nila type ang color Blue masyado.

Since we have not eaten dinner yet, we decided to try Ilocano dining. Right across the hotel is a quaint little spot: La Preciosa. It looks very homey, in fact this was a home built in the 1950s and was turned into a restaurant. Some photos below on the interiors.


the staircase leading to the main dining area at the 2nd floor

the yummy cheesecake

how it looks outside.
The food was not that outstanding. I remember ordering a dish called Bagbagis which promised to be fried crisp to perfection but when I bit into it, I couldn't hear the crunch. I was disappointed really. With the local vibe into it, I was expecting it to be like Cafe Laguna or Barrio Fiesta. Oh well. Their redemption factor was the cheesecake.

So after dinner we went back to the hotel since it was pretty late. The good thing about the hotel, it was just 5 minutes away from the bus station that would take us to Pagudpud. Prior to the start of the trip, I've made contact with our tour guide, Kuya Arnel. I got his number from Chyng's blog. You may read about her adventures here

So the ff day, off we went to Pagudpud. We took a bus (non aircon) from Laoag to Pagudpud. It was a good two hour ride. Looking at the scenery around me is a refreshing break. Walang tall buildings!! ang saya!!! I remember when we were nearing Pagudpud, I was really on the look out for the windmills. And when I saw them from afar, the happiness I felt!!! Indescribable! Parang pwede na akong mamatay! I promise, the only main reason why I initially chose Pagudpud, Laoag is really to see the famous windmills.

WARNING!! The following will be a web blurb of where we went to. They may not be in the right order... again this was 6 months ago, I admit I wasn't paying attention and writing down everything. My restless feet and I were just soooo excited!!

Welcome!
First stop: 


When Kuya Arnel told me that to reach the location of the falls, there would be a 30-45 minute trek. No worries, again restless feet ito! my main worry at that time was the muddy part on the way up -- but it wasn't really a steep path for the most part. God was soo good, He heard my prayers while I was in the bus and on the trike. It was raining incessantly that day (no thanks to TS Falcon) BUT miraculously, the rain will stop whenever we arrive at our intended location. Amazing right? 

So off we go to the location of the falls, here are some photos on the way

Kuya Arnel didn't go with us to see the falls, most trike/vans drivers just stay behind. But we had a guide (I forgot her name so let's call her Ate). The entrance fee is Php10 per person  plus a Php100 fee for the guide - which really is their main income, support the local community! The guides actually serve as guards too, they make sure that the falls is taken care of and that the surroundings are clean as well. Also, upon entering they maintain a manifest wherein all visitors are asked to log their names so the visitor flow can be tracked.


This has got to be one of my favorite photos of the mountain clearing.

B with our guide. Busy yan sa iPhone to take photos

 Hello kalabaw!


 Aren't you already in love with the surroundings? When we passed by this cold river, one can really smell the freshness of the water and the air. Sarraaap!


 This is just one of the man made kawayan bridges we had to cross. The current was kinda strong that day due to the incessant rains brought by TS Falcon.


 A partial view of the Kabigan Falls. Felt cold near the big drop!


 Since the ground was slippery and not too safe to put up the tripod, we asked Ate to take a photo of us.

 This is my tsamba shot! and one of my favorites too.



 View of the falls



 the walk on the way back to the entrance. Hike ulet! not complaining! :) 


Again, God heard my prayers, when we went up the sun was out!! My heart was singing praises!! Yahoo!! 


 When I saw this, I literally stopped and took everything in. I miss our probinsya.

 I'll never get tired of looking at this. Ganda ng Pilipinas!!




Next stop: the Patapat Viaduct. This viaduct is a concrete structure that stretches for 1.3 km connecting Ilocos Norte to the Cagayan Valley Region. This structure is built side by side the coastal mountains where the Cordillera Mountain Range starts. Isn't it a beauty? If you're headed towards the Cagayan Valley area, to the left of the viaduct is the Pasaleng Bay. This is a 100km bay that faces Babuyan Islands and they say that if you're lucky, you might see some dolphin sightings. I wasn't that lucky that day *sad*





This is us for photo op when the viaduct was empty.


Third stop: Agua Seda picnic park. The area as a lot of cottages  and picnic tables overlooking the Pasaleng Bay. A lot of huge rocks too.






B busy taking photos. Kuya Arnel, naka hands in waist lol


Next we headed over to Timmangtang Rock! You will never miss this rock as it majestically stands in between the shore and partly in the waters. It's called Timmangtang mainly because the rock is bell shaped. When you strike a bell, the sound emitted is like tiiimmmaaannnggtang. Basta yun na yun!




B, nag-eemote
This is me looking, uhm, well, small right next to the mighty rock.


What we visited next is highly regarded as the lover of Timmangtang Rock: the Bantay Abot Cave. You see, they say you cannot separate the two as they are believed to be lovers. The rock as the male and Bantay Abot cave as the female. Interesting story!  


In local dialect, Bantay Abot means "mountain with a hole". A hole was found at the middle of the mountain where the waves were free to flash into its walls just like an open shore until it was wrecked by an earthquake during the 80’s.




This shot was taken when we were at the Timmangtang Rock
















This is a view of the Blue Lagoon, we just passed by this area. Again, the sun was out!






Night time came and we went back to the hotel (Villa Del Mar). Beautiful sunset skyline. I remember when I saw this I was really thankful that God heard my fervent prayers for sun to come out. Looking at the photos, one cannot really tell that a typhoon was wrecking Luzon that time. 


And because of the typhoon, I spent a few good minutes checking how things are at work. A lot of people didn't show up in class due to the typhoon and some of my trainers couldn't work too. Haay spell double shift just to cover the other classes whose trainers cannot report for work. I was thankful of my team's dedication that time. But still grateful that everyone's safe.






muni muni while looking at the sea
We had a great time! I remember taking in the feeling of being the in province away from the hustle and bustle of the city... a rare treat! I slept like a baby with only the sound of the waves consistent throughout the night.


A good night sleep indeed to prepare for day 2 of the trip! 



2 comments:

  1. My mom is from Pagudpud so I spent countless breaks there. I love seeing pictures of these familiar places from other peoples perspective. I have been to kabigan and patapat countless times but I must admit, I haven't visited any of the places in your part 2 post (hahaha pathetic me!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aikko! I want to go back -- this time walang typhoon hehe the place is beautiful indeed! dream come true for me when I saw the windmills!

    ReplyDelete