Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Perfect Porch...

Not exactly. I don't have one. But I dream a lot. At this point in my life that's what keeps me entertained during lull hours. I dream and this doubles as "life planning". Productive, eh? lol. Well, since I do not have the resources to carry out my dreams, might as well stack more and more to the ever growing inventory of what I want to do.

A house. Yep, I want to have my own someday. A house with a real lot, not on some building and the deed of the land where it stands is not under my name. On my previous post, I shared some bedroom inspirations. Now, let's take a step outside the imaginary house and look at some covered porches. With the tropical weather in my country and probably the lack of space in the city, it is rare to see covered porches or even the concept of porch alone. What is  a porch, by the way? According to the ever reliable M-W, a porch is defined as a covered area adjoining an entrance to a building and usually having a separate roof. Modern times has seen variations to this definition. It would be nice to have this space in the house, with a swing, where you can sit, prep your feet up and have coffee upon waking up or spend a quiet afternoon with a good book and tea. What a life!

In the future, resources and opportunity willing, I would want one someday in my own home. It would be a quaint little piece of corner in the house! My imagination is on overdrive as I think about how to design it. Here are some photos I found online and would serve as my personal pegs :)

The city dweller in me is oozing with envy just looking at these photos!! (photos are not mine by the way, photo sources are posted below).

This porch is an indoor one -- a screened porch to be exact! Since it's indoors there's no need to worry about dried leaves or twigs landing on the flooring plus it would still be a cool, breezy room with the goo ventilation! Kudos to the creative concept of the owner/designers.



Now, this lovely porch has an unbelievable summer time vibe to it. I love this! With just a creative punch of colors, here and there, you can simply achieve this look.



 
This is the all classic lovely porch: a wooden bench placed right by the window, potted plants and wooden slats as flooring.

 



This has got to be one of my favorite designs. Lounge chairs in rattan material plus pop of colors from the throw pillows, a rug that fits just perfectly... sounds like a wonderful porch to me!




And this one below has a more modern feel with the homey vibe to it with the installed porch swing. The pop of yellow is very welcoming too, amidst the straight lines borrowed from the wooden boards and the domination of white and dark green.




Don't you just love all these inspirations? Makes me want to start making my own. But first, I need space and a home of course. My current condo space is not exactly a porch material haha!

However, a porch doesn't necessarily have to be outside! With limited space, you can even create a screened porch that acts as an extension of a room! Just like the first photo I posted. One major element that need to be present is ventilation or circulation of air. It wouldn't be a porch if it's a tight fitted space right? It doesn't have to be extravagant or expensive. Creativity and imagination and knowing what you like is  all you need to get that porch started. Get online and start researching, scour for materials and inspirations! Happy planning!



No comments:

Post a Comment