Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Trip that TS Falcon threatened - Part II

This post summarizes day 2 of our trip. If you haven't yet, you may read through part 1 here


The following day, we continued our trip at 1PM - this was the other half of the tour. Too bad (tropical storm) Falcon was nearing Ilocos that time so it was raining harder than ever. But no amount of rain can dampen my spirits that time as today's agenda: the southern part of Pagudpud!!

Day 2, first stop: the much awaited Bangui Windmills! Soooo majestic!! and not to mention huge!!!! I was really in awe, hindi ako nakapagsalita when I got off the trike and saw them for the first time. Nakanganga lang ata ako, I'm sure sabi ng isa sa mga windmills: "eng eng ata tong babaeng to!!!" 

Who would not be amazed at this?? (it was really cloudy that day, as you can see in the photos but my heart was jumping for joy for my prayers were answered: the rain really stopped every time we arrive at our destination!)


even with dark clouds looming over it, the windmills still look majestic as ever.

I had one wish that time: to go inside one of the windmills and go up and see the whole area! You see, at the foot of the structure, there's a heavy duty door that takes one inside the tube and up. Although I am not sure if civilians are allowed to go in but I was desperate and I was ready to beg so I can go in. desperada lang! 

Funny thing is, when I went near one structure, I had a sudden flashback of several gory scenes from the FINAL DESTINATION series. Why, you say? The wind was so strong that time that the sound emitted by the blades were stronger than ever. My imagination was acting up that time and I was anticipating that the blades may come off the hinge and go straight to my neck!! Jusme!!! Perfect, would definitely make it to FINAL DESTINATION part.. err 15. 

black sand

wind was soo strong that day
Near the structures, there are little nipa houses that sell souvenirs: little wood replicas of the windmills, keychain, ref magnets. We got some for pasalubong, we didn't really haggle so we can help out with the local livelihood. Plus I know that they make it on site because we saw some raw materials. They gave us free paper weights with the Bangui Windmills lettering on on them. Good job!

Up next, we went to a rather odd natural structure but very beautiful: the Kapurpurawan Rocks. In the local dialect this means whiteness (kaputian). And literally the structure really screamed Mestiza ako!!

To reach the rocks, from the jump off point, we had to go down a long concrete stairs and pass through a natural vegetation.





photo taken from the bottom of the stairs


beautiful vegetation, everything spells GREEN! If I'm not mistaken, I saw some bonsai plants scattered in the area.


Isn't it beeyyoootiful? I feel like I'm in the middle of a huge water basin with this mountain ranges around me


looking so small compared to my surroundings (well, I am really small even on normal circumstances haha!)


Bugoy happily standing in the midst of all whiteness


waves crashing at the bottom of the rocks





These are hardened sand, it may not look that white here due to the rains. It actually looks like a hardened chalk!


The uneven patters are due to the constant exposure to the sea water (erosion too) and the wind.


The large head, for me it looked it like merlion hahah! But the head really commanded presence while it faced the waters.


the waves


Us in the massive rock. Thank you Kuya Arnel!



Last stop of the day was another famous landmark: the Cape Bojeador Lighthouse or the Burgos Lighthouse. This lighthouse is now a protected cultural structure in Ilocos which was build during the Spanish period in the Philippines. Now why is it called Cape Bojeador? Simply because the structure is perched on top of a hill overlooking Cape Bojeador where the old Spanish galleons used to set sail. 




from the parking lot, visitors have to endure climbing up a flight of concrete stairs to reach the main courtyard. I decided to count it but when I reach mid 20 steps, I lost count and I didn't have the heart to go back and start from 1. 




few steps. rest. repeat 20X
Once you get into the courtyard, you need to go up a few steps before you get to the foot of the lighthouse. Once there you will notice that the while courtyard and structure itself is made of red bricks that have aged gracefully and naturally. Its main enemies: time, hard winds and rains. As this structure was first lit March 1892, this has been standing for more than a century. And its original mechanism has sadly been damaged when a massive earthquake hit the area in 1990. Right now the area is being closely guarded and preserved as it was a National Historical Landmark last August 2004 and a National Treasure on June 2005.


Entrance to the foot of the lighthouse requires one to walk by a short hallway (left picture below). On the left side is a door leading to a museum that showcases the history of the lighthouse. Passing through the museum felt creepy, fortunately it was closed when we visited. After the hallway, you then need to go up a few steps (right photo, below) to really reach a main entrance of the lighthouse itself. I was really looking forward to going up and see the view from the top but it was closed to visitors that time plus it was anticipating a storm.


CREEPY


Even if I wasn't able to go up, I took all the beauty in. No matter how tiring it was to climb it, the view from the top is just awweeesome! Worth every single step!



Kebs sa dark clouds!!




Cape Bojeador in the horizon
emote

I bet this will not be our last time to visit Pagudpud. I really would love to visit the windmills again when Mr Sun is all out. And probably climb up, too? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment